Thursday, March 24, 2011

New Baby Girl!

One of our staff members just had a little baby girl and I needed to make a card to give with our gift.  I wanted to do something a bit different and I had seen a little paper carriage somewhere in blog land. 


I think that blog had a cutting layout, but since I can't remember where it is I needed to come up with my own pattern.  I wanted to use the tools available to me and I was not about to cut out the pieces by hand (bad idea!).  So, I used my Cuttlebug and Spellbinder circles to do the work for me.

I have both the small and large circles, which came in handy.  I used the 3 1/4, 3, 2 3/4, 1, and 3/4 inch circles to cut the base and two layers of designer paper.


After cutting the two base circles I needed to find the center of each and cut out 1/4 of the circle.



The carriage backing is cut from the same card stock at 2 1/4 by 7 3/4 and scored at 1/4 inch on both of the long sides.  To make it fit better around the circle you will need to cut out little triangles along both edges near the score lines as shown.
Carriage Base Pieces
Next I cut out my coordinating and designer papers.  The handle is a little piece 3/8 by 4 inches.  You can make it thinner or wider depending on the sentiment you want to use.

 Next, I layered all the pieces and began the construction process.  I quickly found that the backing strip needed to be made with really strong adhesive, so be sure to use something like Scoretape instead of a glue runner. I placed the Scoretape on the circle instead of the backing strip.

Working with one side at a time, gently ease the strip around the edges of the circle and press firmly to make it stick.  Make sure that your two edges line up for a clean seam.

After I had the base put together I attached the wheels with brads, then added my embellishments of pearls, lace and a ribbon.


We are going to slip a gift card for baby supplies into the carriage and deliver it this weekend.

Have a go at your own version and let me know how it turns out.

Happy Stamping!

8 comments:

Donna Huisinga said...

Adorable. I saw it over at Splitcoast! I'm impressed that you came up with your own template. I have to copy everything. Looks like you're a new blogger too. Good luck. Nice job.

Sara I. said...

Adorable!!! Love the colors and lacey punching - awesome pearl accents! I'm sure the receiver will love it!

Lisa said...

Wow Wow Wow! This is beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial!
Big Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Such a clever idea, you're amazing, this is the sweetest ever and one of those great keepsakes she can pass along when her baby is a grown baby. Thank you for sharing how you made this.

Roxann said...

This is just the cutest! I don't have a shower to go to, but i want to make one!

Sheree said...

Wow!!! That carriage is fantastic Nancy! Love the colours, dp's...everything about it!
You are one talented artista!

Liz said...

I saw this on Splitcoast too and came back to it today , my daugther is having her first in sept. and Im finding out if its a boy or girl in April so I can throw them a party so they will know what they are having . Can't wait to try and make this .Thanks so much for showing us another great way to use our spellbinders.

Ann said...

Oh my, this gift is gorgeous. You are very clever!