Monday, May 9, 2011

Book of Cards

Over the Christmas holidays last year I saw a number of amazing cards and gift items.  One of the unique items that captured my attention was the book box.  I saw several good tutorials (my favorite one) for making the book so I don't think I need to do one here, but I will share the subtle changes that I made in the size in order to store cards in the book.

I used three Our Daily Bread Designs sentiment sets to make the box and cards - Scripture Collection #4, Get Well and Thinking of You. 

I also used several Spellbinders sets - Fleur De Lis Squares, Fancy Tags #1 and #2, Labels Eighteen, Labels Four, and Labels Six.

The pearls are from Stampin Up, Prima and ZVA creative.  The cream base and brown card stock are Bazzila.

For all the distressing I used Distress Tie Die.



The designer paper is Basic Grey Curio Camelia, Making Memories Brun Antique Dictionary and Bees Handwriting, and Bella Blvd Couch Potato.

 Flowers on the inside cover are from Prima.  I made the large flower on the front of the box from a fantastic lace that I bought from Frabricland, added a lace circle cut from Spellbinders, then another row of lace (sewn in a circle) and finally an old button that I colored with a brown Copic topped with a Prima Say it With Studs.


In order to fit standard A4 cards (5 1/2 x 4 1/4 inches) I needed an inside space measuring 6 x 4 3/4 inches.  Here is the recipe for cutting and scoring:
  • Cut 2 base pieces 7 3/4" x 7 1/4". The left side piece I punched a scalloped edge on the left and scored at 6 3/4".  The right side piece I scored at 1"and then scallop punched the right edge. These two pieces will be joined in the center using the 1 inch scored sections.  Use a firm glue or score tape.
  • The accordion sections are 7" x 7" and 7" x 5 3/4".  Score every 1/2" across the paper then mountain and valley fold to form an accordion.


Since I already listed all the paper and tools I will just show the cards ....

The little strip of rust dp is from a very old Mat Stacks by Nancy (no relation).

The flowers are punched using EK Success Retro Flower with Basic Grey brads.




A special friend of mine is getting this book box of cards for her birthday and she doesn't know, shhhh!

Have a Great Day!!
Nancy



3 comments:

Trish and Treasure said...

I love what you've made and will have to make one for myself. Absolutely beautiful!

Roxann said...

Gorgeous projects! Love each and every one.

Sheree said...

Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous!!!! Everything about this project has a WOW! factor!!